The Workplace Relations Framework should complete the evolution from the centralised system of compulsory conciliation and arbitration of the past and become a truly decentralised system of collective and individual bargaining underpinned by a genuine safety net of simple, legislated minimum standards.
Only industry base rates of pay should be retained in awards as part of a modernised safety net, with parties able to adopt additional terms and conditions of employment by agreement.
Our Policy Objectives:
- Regulation that delivers the broadest possible range of options to participate in work and accommodates increasingly diverse needs and preferences.
- Effective recognition of rights to engage in contracting and labour hire.
- Freedom of choice in how individuals and businesses structure their relationships.
- No unwarranted external interference in lawfully contracted relationships.
- Australians should be free to supply goods and services, including their labour.
- The freedom of business to engage contractors and to on-hire should be enshrined and protected at law.
- Freedom of choice should be promoted and respected.
- There should be no scope to deem or declare contractors as employees contrary to the agreed intentions of the parties.