Building newer, better and more cost-effective infrastructure that meets business and community needs should be a top national priority. We must focus on improving access to infrastructure for all Australian businesses. This includes ensuring there is adequate financing for infrastructure projects and promoting greater private sector involvement in the planning, funding, construction and operation of infrastructure assets.
- Improve national productivity
- Base decisions on rigorous cost-benefit analysis
- Encourage private sector investment to help meet current and future infrastructure needs
- Achieve greater coordination in infrastructure regulation and planning
- More equitable and sustainable allocation of risk
Privatisation: Privatise certain public infrastructure assets to improve productivity and provide funds for investment in new projects.
Structured investments: To increase the attractiveness of infrastructure investment to the private sector, governments should consider establishing quarantined structured investment vehicles, with all borrowings allocated to particular projects.
Infrastructure Australia: Support the role of Infrastructure Australia and improve its effectiveness.
Digital economy: Australian government should facilitate and drive the rollout of infrastructure that is competitively priced and capable of supporting the digital ambitions of Australian businesses.